I am shocked, like many other readers, at the treatment of the locals and it is hard to see my part in it. Rutile is a mineral being mined for our benefit so that we can have tiny electronic devices like cameras, cell phones, computers and so on (titanium - it makes very light metal. Coltan is another such metal). Karmically we are involved in the way the mining companies are treating community members in Africa, and the garment workers in the sweat shops of Bangladesh, and the indigenous people whose land is being ruined by corporate oil companies. We have desires, we want what makes our lives easier. We want the latest, the fastest and the best deal.
Money has developed into a mighty power. It breaks my heart to hear elders in Africa and indigenous North Americans speak of cultural ways that kept people connected to the earth and one another, and their worry for the young, who are exchanging these values for those of self cherishing - immediate satisfaction of such a temporary nature.
This time calls for courage and the cultivation of kindness and compassion, not merely as an idea, but in the way we treat others including the earth and all beings. In this way we can be free from fear and experience true happiness.
It is simple:
- slow down and be still (even for a few moments)
- notice thoughts for what they are.......just words passing through in thought form
- smile and connect with self and others
- remember the kindness you have experienced from others and focus on that
- before responding to an impulse tap your tongue against your top palate 7 times and settle your energy
- spend time in nature regularly (even near a tree in the city)
- don't take your self too seriously remembering it is through giving that we receive
- when suffering seems present recognize it as karma burning off and breathe and let go